Don’t Donate to Charity? Neither Do We!

Don’t donate to charity because you don’t know where your funds go? Yeah, neither would we! Over time, charities have been called out for spending way too much money on [...]

Don’t donate to charity because you don’t know where your funds go? Yeah, neither would we!

Over time, charities have been called out for spending way too much money on operational, administration, and fundraising costs. And while the running and upkeep of a charity does, of course, cost money, you should still know where the majority of your donated dollars are ending up.

There are plenty of stories about charities that aren’t donating enough funds to the actual cause, which rightfully deters people from donating.

But what about well-known charities? Do you know how they use your funds?

Let’s put the spotlight on some of the charities whose operational cost far exceeds what they should…

One charity, in particular, came to mind when writing this blog and without naming and shaming, I can tell you that In 2015, just 52% of money donated went to their actual cause; Human rights research, advocacy, campaigning, raising awareness and education. The remaining 48% was spent on activities such as fundraising and building a supporter base!

Another charity donates only 70% of money directly to their humanitarian work. The other 30% is spent on fundraising, media and marketing, and on administrative costs.

At African Volunteer Aid 100% of money donated reaches people in Uganda. That’s right, ALL the money donated is spent on community projects with nothing spent on administration or on operational costs.

So, what’s the real reason you don’t donate? It’s easy to check how a charity spends its money, so if you’re not donating because you don’t know where your money is going, stop the excuses! If you’re passionate about a particular cause, choose a charity that best supports it and make sure your dollar is going as far as it can.

At African Volunteer Vacations, 100% of donations and sponsorships go to communities who need it. For example, when you sponsor a child, you sponsor an actual child! You will receive correspondence and updates from your sponsored child, which is much more rewarding than having your hard earned money going into a pooled fund, or worse, to pay a charities admin costs.

If you would like to donate to charity and send a child to school, meet the kids we’re trying to help here.

Leave your comment

Please enter your name.
Please enter comment.

%d bloggers like this: